Monday, June 8, 2015

Sent From My iPad!!


Hello good people!

What an exciting week! I am writing this very email from my new missionary i-pad! Hurray! I will admit, believe it or not, that I am technologically challenged after being away from these fancy gadgets for a few days...and by a few days I mean 16 months. The last few days I have been sharing the gospel with my cute little mini missionary companion Sister Davis. She just had her 16th birthday and is a convert to the church. Sister Rogers and I were given two mini missionaries on Saturday and we will have them until next Saturday. It has been a blast! We also had our first Sunday in our new ward. They are amazing. It is a young ward with people so fired up to do missionary work. Here was my favorite story of yesterday, the beautiful sabbath day. A little 6 year old girl in the ward came up to me and stated,  "I don't want to serve a mission because what if I have to eat food I don't like?" I looked at her and told her how exciting a mission is. I told her it was the best thing in the whole wide world and then told her how I was a picky eater before my mission but Heavenly Father helped me to love the food others make me. I told her that Heavenly Father would help her too. She then gave the cutest little grin and walked away. Her dad later reported back to us and said, "I don't know what you said to her, but she has been talking about serving a mission all day!" It warmed my little missionary heart. 
One of the highlights this week was going on an exchange with a sister in the Reynoldsburg area. She had only been there for a week and so both of us, not knowing the area, had to rely completely on the spirit. During the day we had about 10 minutes before our next appointment and had a potential to try before we went to it. We sat and questioned if we would be able to make it to the appointment on time if we tried the potential. As we were deciding what to do the spirit softy whispered to me "go try that potential." As the minutes were fading quickly and we were frantically searching for the house of this potential, the Spirit once again was there to lead and guide us. Miraculously we made it to this little hidden apartment. We knocked on the door...no answer. I was beginning to feel a little discouraged and I even thought to myself "but Heavenly Father-- we followed a prompting!" We decided to walk out of this apartment hallway a different way from the way we came in. As we were just approaching the door out we saw an Orkin exterminator on the job. We felt impressed to talk to him and give him a card. As we conversed we found out that just the night before he had watched a documentary on the church and was led to Mormon.org to find out more. He was deeply interested and desired to learn more, and then lo and behold the missionaries cross paths with him the very next day. I know he was the reason Heavenly Father led us to those apartments. I also learned the importance of following promptings and not second guessing the Lord's hand. " All things are done in the wisdom of Him who knoweth all things."

Something I have come to know on my mission is the Important truth that we can feel the love of Christ for anyone. It is something He will grant us so long as we earnestly pray for it and desire to come unto Him. We were out tracking one day and we saw a man with a big picket fence outside his house that says "Jesus Saves." We decided we couldn't pass up such an opportunity so we decided to knock on his door. He came out and we told him how much we admired his faith and courage to put up such a sign. We proceeded to try and tell him the "good news" and testify of the restoration. He didn't agree with out beliefs and made that very known to us. As we stood and listened to this man express his opinions, oddly enough I started to get emotional as Christ lent me some of His love for this man who disagreed with us. I knew without a doubt that Heavenly Father knew and loved him. I felt like Moses when it was said in the scriptures that "his heart swelled wide as eternity." I testify of the pure and beautiful love the Savior has for us and that we can help to carry to those around the world.

There's a quote I came across this week that I loved! It's by Lucy Mack Smith and says, "We must cherish one another, watch over one another, comfort one another, and gain instruction that we may all sit down in Heaven together."
"I glory in plainess, I glory in truth, I glory in my Jesus." Shall we not go on In so great a cause? 

Love you bunches and bunches!   
Sister Mathis




 

No comments: