Monday, March 3, 2014

Go to the Ohio...There You Shall Be Endowed with Power From on High






So here I am in the Great Ohio a place I never thought I'd end up but a place that will become home to me. I am in Hayden Run, which is right next to Dublin, but technically I'm located in Columbus. I am in a struggling area that needs miracles, but I feel blessed to be here. It may be hard, and it has already been hard, but I am called here for a reason. There are people I need to meet that the Lord has already prepared.  For this blog I wanted to list 10 things I have already learned as a missionary.

1) One of the most important things I have learned while being here is that there are angels on both sides to bear me up.  I have felt the presence of my family and loved one's. I know I do not walk this road alone. I have also felt the presence of those who have passed on. I have felt the love and support of Grandpa and Uncle Greg. It is the most comforting feeling in the world.

2) Waking up is hard. End of story. we all know I am no morning person, but I have found when I am obedient and wake up on time, workout with intensity, and pray for the Lord to strengthen me, the day goes so much better. Also mom I love you so much but no more sending sweets. Send letters of love I think I'm already gaining weight...and then it means I have to workout even harder in the morning, which at 6:30 is rather difficult.

3) Nobody said it was easy. I have without a doubt struggled already here. I have had days where I wonder what in the world I am doing. Sometimes I let my mind get the best of me and think, "man a year and a half is a long time." For those of you who are like me. Stop that! I have felt power in knowing I was called of God and knowing he so tenderly placed me here. The “My Commission” statement reads, "I am called of God. My authority is above that of the kings of the earth. By revelation I have been selected as the personal representative of the Lord Jesus Christ. He is my master and has chosen me, (Lauren Jane Mathis) to represent Him. To stand in His place." How grateful I am for this opportunity.

4) Getting mail is the best thing in the whole wide world.

5) A whole lot of doors don't open or close immediately when you say you're a missionary. That's okay because eventually after many streets and many doors you will find that one that opens and it will make it all worth it. If nothing else a mission teaches you humility and patience, which I surely needed and still need.

6) Your attitude determines everything. You can be down because you're in a "hard area" or you can use that as motivation to fuel your fire. You have to believe and have tremendous faith in our Father in Heaven that things will happen. I am nothing without Him but I am everything with Him.

7) Members are crucial. The "finding" part of a missionary is challenging since many people don't answer their doors these days. You members are vital. We cannot do it without you, so do not be afraid to open your mouths! If you are having the missionaries over for dinner, invite a friend or neighbors. Invite them to activities and church. The number one reason people do not go to church is because they were never invited. So help a sista out and invite, invite, invite! Listen to the "Missionary Next Door" tons of ideas there.

8)Be bold! Doubt not fear not! We have the best thing in the world; so do not be afraid to share it with others. Make others want what you have!

9) Prayer is so real. Prayers are always answered. Maybe not immediately with the answer we want, but the answer we need. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are so real, and their love is real. They are on my right hand and on my left hand. It is impossible to do missionary work without them.

10) When you are getting along with your companion any day can be a good day. If there is a problem look at yourself first because more often then not you are probably the reason. I am lucky to have such an amazing companion who is so Christlike.

I love you guys! I hope you all have a great week!

Sincerely,
Sister Mathis




No comments: