Monday, June 9, 2014

I'm Officially Sold


Being a missionary is the coolest thing in the world. This week has been incredible. So packed full of activity, and a week where I truly had to depend on the Lord and His hand in the work.

Yesterday I was praying and fasting for a miracle. I knew we needed one. I was not able to sleep Saturday night, thinking about the following day and hoping and praying Gabbie and Caesar would show up to church. I had to exercise my faith and believe in good things to come. I was physically and spiritually exhausted, and somehow the Lord gave me strength as I fasted for a specific purpose. A few minutes into church Gabbie walked in with her two sweet kids, but Caesar was no where in sight. Keep in mind Caesar had to be at church yesterday in order to get baptized this upcoming Saturday. I panicked. I thought maybe this baptism won't happen after all, and I began to lose hope. I prayed  and I prayed again for him to show up, I looked back at the door and hoped with all of my might to see Caesar walk in. Literally moments later, he came in. Sister Schauers said the excitement on my face belonged in a movie. I knew right then and there that this beautiful family was prepared and ready. They have made sacrifice after sacrifice to be at church. I know this baptism is going to happen this Saturday. We had a lesson with them earlier in the week, and Gabbie shared with us an experience she had. A friend of hers had messaged her on facebook congratulating them on the wedding. The friend said to Gabbie, "you look so happy." Gabbie responded, "I am happy because I am going to be baptized." The friend then asked what church she would be baptized into. Gabbie said "The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." The friend added his two cents, and in a way shot down the church, but Gabbie without even being a member yet was bold and declared to him what she believed in. Gabbie in a previous visit had explained to us that she has struggled to find her testimony. However on this particular night she told us, "I think I found my testimony, I was telling him things that I didn't even know I believed in, but I now know they are true." Gabbie and Caesar know this is the true church.  I have learned so much from them. They are examples to me and I have truly grown to love their family. Last night as we were going over the baptismal interview questions I was blown away but how pure and sweet their testimonies are. I look forward to hearing them bear testimony after they have entered the waters of baptism.

We have been extremely blessed this last week. We have literally seen miracle after miracle with this family. I want to thank all of you for praying for me and for the missionaries around the world. I know your prayers are answered. I know my prayers have been answered in ways that I didn't even think possible. Prayer is a powerful resource. It is direct communication with our Father in Heaven and should not be taken lightly.

I testify that our Savior lives. He loves us more than words can describe. He has filled me with His love. As a missionary I am His agent in this sacred work. All things are possible because of Him.

Funny Moment of the week: We were out tracting when Sister Schauers said to me, "umm Sister Mathis your skirt is broken." I turned to look where she was pointing out and it turned out there was a hole the size of a watermelon on my backside. Luckily the skirt had two layers so don't worry folks, I wasn't running around flashing anything.

Heartwarming moment of the week- Jack saying to me, "Mathis, I was praying you would come today and you did."

Crazy fact of the day- I will no longer be a teen next week! I'm going to be 20!!

Scripture of the week- Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Go out, be an instrument in the Lord's hands, share the good news with our brothers and sisters. I promise that as you do this the Lord will lend you His strength.

-Every first Friday downtown they have booths where people sell things so Sister Schauers and I did a free booth for the church! 


No comments: