Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Work of a Missionary



Hello everyone!!

Hope you are all doing great!

So I'm going to be completely honest with you, because I learned something last week. This last week has been a tough,  probably one of the hardest weeks on my mission. A week where many times Sister Schauers and I wanted to give up, where we could have broken down at any minute. We were physically, emotionally, and spiritually drained. A mission is a lot like a roller coaster. Something great will happen and you are at a peak and then Heavenly Father has to humble you again and you feel like you have to start from ground zero. All you returned missionaries out there know exactly what I'm talking about. We were out knocking doors in the great hot and humid weather of Ohio and we were spent, but we looked at each other and said let's try just one more door. We went and knocked.  I tried to wipe the sweat off of my face, stand tall and not look too exhausted so the people on the receiving end would open the door. Guess what, the door opened and out came a man who was an answer to our prayers. He was enthuastic  and excited to hear more about the gospel. Somehow we were given strength. Somehow we knew what to say in order for him to want to learn more. It was a miracle in a time that we desperately needed it. I know that if we are willing to go that extra mile and knock that one more door, Heavenly Father will bless us. Sometimes we are pushed beyond our comfort zone and sometimes we feel we may not be able to carry on, but I promise you that just like the Footprints in the Sand poem, "it is then when he carries us."  I truly feel the Savior is very much apart of this work. He is our third companion guiding us, and uplifting us along the way. I keep learning, and although at times it is hard, I am so grateful to be a missionary and to grow spiritually every day. I have never before felt so close to my Savior.

A quote I heard this week, that I loved from the Life of Pi talks about the Savior and says, "I couldn't get Him out of my head. I still can't. I spent 3 solid days thinking about Him. The more He bothered me, the less I could forget Him, and the more I learned about Him, the less I wanted to leave Him." I too never want to leave my Savior. He is everything. This is His work, I am just an instrument in His hands. I am so grateful to be here and 
to be staying in Delaware for at least 6 more weeks.

 
I just have to thank all you amazing people for making my birthday special. I felt incredible love and strength from all of you.

Love Sister Mathis

No comments: