Monday, November 3, 2014

Greetings from Newark, Ohio!!



My new companion:  Sister Wagstaff 

How grateful I am to be serving here in this new blessed land. It was incredibly difficult to leave Delaware. I feel like a large piece of my heart still resides and will always be there. I felt like I was leaving home, but if there's one thing I have learned on my mission, it is the fact that the Lord is in charge. In every decision we make, in every step we take, He is there alongside us actively engaged in our life.

I learned a neat lesson this week as I was talking to my incredible new companion, Sister Kimber Wagstaff. We mentioned how we as missionaries are always comparing ourselves to other missionaries. We desire to be just like them. I remember when I first came out on my mission I had forgotten my own individual worth because I had tried so to hard to be someone I was not. I think as humans we tend to make these comparisons a lot in life. We are always comparing ourselves to others, wishing we were just like them or had the talents they present. Sister Wagstaff pointed out how each of us individually was called to this mission for a reason. Heavenly Father hand picked us to be laborers in this part of His vineyard. He didn't choose us to be someone else. He selects us individually in whatever field we may be in because of who we are and the skills and talents we do have. Too often in life we are neglecting the wonderful characteristics Heavenly Father has blessed us with. To those who are reading this: your Heavenly Father knows you! You are perfect to Him because you were created by Him. You are good enough, and Heavenly Father loves you for simply being YOU!

This week our Mission President shared a quote that I loved. He said "You can't teach something you don't believe to be true, and you can't teach something well that you don't believe passionately." I am so grateful to have such a deep and profound love for this gospel and for my Savior Jesus Christ. His light is the most beautiful aspect you can bring into someone else's life. Brother and Sisters, if you do not have passion for this gospel I encourage you to experiment on the word and find it. Try the experiment upon His word, test your faith and pray that Heavenly Father will direct you.

My new friend who was Haylie's instagram friend first.

I am so excited to be here. This area is a lot different, but change is always good. I am excited to work with the people here, to learn and to grow, and to let others know that they have a Savior who loves and cares about them.
This Church is true!

Love,
Sister Mathis
 

It was so hard to leave dear friends like Gabbie and baby Camilla.

1 comment:

Ericka Johnson said...

We miss you! So happy that things are going well.