Monday, March 9, 2015

"Be still and Know that I am God." -Psalm 46:10






Even if it's -10 Degrees, A Salted Caramel Pretzel shake at 
Stake 'n Shake is always a great idea!

I have felt so much comfort and peace in this last week and I am so grateful for how mindful our Heavenly Father is of us.  I love this sacred and special work. This morning as I got onto email, I had many emails telling me of a surgery my mom had this past week. That was news to me. Immediately I felt worried, but as I read her sweet email and the faith and trust she has in our Heavenly Father I felt such a dramatic sense of peace.  The scripture came to mind "be still, and know that I am God." Although I am far from home, I know there is someone close by watching over my mom. I know my Heavenly Father has been with her and because of the power of the Priesthood and prayer, her recovery has been incredible.  I know through this trial that my mom and I too have felt the love of God and His hand in all that we do. I love how omniscient, all-knowing, and all-powerful He is, and no matter where we are He is mindful of us.
Sister Chadburn, Ellen, Sister Watt and me
Sister Ellen and me at the Columbus Temple
This last week was bittersweet as I said goodbye to my dear friend and companion Sister Chadburn. Before we went to the transfer meeting we had the opportunity to walk around the temple grounds and the foyer of the temple with our sweet sister Ellen. Almost instantaneously as she stepped on the grounds, tears began to flow from her eyes. She was humbled and she knew she was walking on sacred ground. She felt the spirit and the love of our Heavenly Father stronger then ever. We had that special moment with Ellen, Sister Chadburn, and sweet Sister Watt to simply be still and allow the spirit to touch our hearts. I love moments like that! And I know it is one that I will remember forever and I was able to spend it with so many that I love.  We also are so fortunate to be able to attend the temple tomorrow as a zone. It has been too long. I absolutely love the temple and the sacred work we can participate in.
I have loved doing my family history work and keep searching for a precious name I can take to the temple. I was able to connect to my Grandpa's brother Norman Watts through ancestry.com. What a neat opportunity that was to find his tree and compare it to mine. Family history work has never been so easy and so accessible. Take advantage of it! Prepare those names for your ancestors so that you can help them receive the many blessings you now enjoy.


We had stake conference this last week and had the privilege of having Elder Gordon Smith of the seventy in attendance. One thing he said that really stuck out to me was, "it is a huge blessing to participate in the rescue of souls." Our stake president also challenged us during the conference to make the atonement of Christ meaningful and personal to me personally.  He said, "The Savior looks at you and sees someone worth saving, someone worth loving and sacrificing for." I testify to you of how real and personal that love is. 

I am still serving in the blessed land of Newark. I am going on 6 months here and I am so grateful for each precious minute I have had to labor in this part of the Lord's vineyard. My new companion Sister Ure is a phenomenal missionary. She is filled with joy and instantly we became great friends. I am grateful for this time I have to serve alongside her. 
Sisters King, Mathis, Ure and Thomas
Charlie Chaplin once said, "a day without laughter is a day wasted" so with that being said, here's a bit of a funny story. Sister Ure and I both love to run so we have been waking up at 6 to get a good workout in.  One morning in particular it was probably a solid -10 degrees with a wind chill of 100 miles per hour.  We enjoyed our run though as we made our way back to the apartment we noticed a nice frosty layer of ice on our eyelashes that looked much like we had a thick covering of white mascara on. Our eyebrows were also completely frosted over. I have never felt such a sensation of having your eyelashes stick to each other. It was pretty safe to say we looked like Jack Frost. Well on a bright note (pun intended) it is warming up and spring is right around the corner! We are loving this weather that has been over 20 degrees:)
I love you guys so very much!
Sister Mathis


No comments: