Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Greatest Privilege We Have is to Share the Gospel





This week has been wonderful. I have been so amazed at the power the Spirit has in this work. I am so incredibly grateful for the powerful Mission Leadership Council we had and then the opportunity to train our zone and help them to feel the Spirit in great abundance. It was such a powerful reminder to me. This is His work and it is our sacred privilege to be a part of it. This last week Sister Rogers and I experienced many tender mercies as we tried to do everything we could to fine tune ourselves to listen and watch for the promptings from the Spirit. One example was during a day that all of our plans seemed to fall through, even our dinner appointment! After looking at our plans and reevaluating where the Lord wanted us to be, we decided to go visit an elderly couple named Bob and Joy, whom we have been somewhat teaching for the last month and a half. As we got to their house Joy was sitting outside on the porch. It was the first time we had seen her in a long time so we were grateful to catch her on the front porch. That was sign number one that we were where we needed to be. When she saw us approaching she said "I was thinking about you sisters the other day and was hoping you would come by." It was a hot day so she invited us in for a glass of water. She was talking a zillion miles an hour and barely allowed us time to say anything. We knew after listening to her for awhile that our time was far spent and we weren't being very productive and normally we would need to head out, yet neither of us felt that we could leave just yet. We didn't feel we'd be able to get a word in anytime soon yet for some reason the Spirit was telling us not to leave, that our work there was not finished. Joy during one part of the conversation teared up as she talking about some of the trials her family is facing. With tear filled eyes she said, "I know I shouldn't think like this, but sometimes I wonder if God even hears and answers my prayers." As I prayed and listened to what the Spirit wanted us to do a thought came to my mind, "Give her your Book Of Mormon." I immediately shot this idea down. The Book Of Mormon I had in my bag was a very special one. For the last few months I have been reading the Book of Mormon and marking everything in reference to faith, hope, strength, and courage. I wasn't even finished marking it! How could I give it away to someone? Not to mention I had been specifically praying about various other people I could give it to and Joy was not one of them. Yet the thought came again and this time even stronger, "Give her your Book Of Mormon." Without questioning it this time I grabbed this precious book from my bag and with tear filled eyes said, "Joy, your Heavenly Father wants you to have this book and I promise you in the name of Jesus Christ that if you read it you will find that your Heavenly Father has never left your side." She cried tears of joy and was so moved at the Spirit that touched her heart. Just yesterday we received a phone call from her saying she had not missed a day reading the Book Of Mormon. She has been reading it everyday! How grateful I am for a Heavenly Father who knows exactly what His children need and when they need it. 
With the Alleman Family:  One of our Favorites!!


The Sunflower Sisters
I heard a quote this week that said "the greatest privilege we have in this life is to share the gospel." How grateful I am for that privilege. It is such a beautiful day to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Never forget how much the world needs your light. We are blessed beyond compare as we seek to strengthen our relationship with the Savior of the world. I am so grateful for Him. I know He lives. May we continue to find Him in our lives and help others to do the same.

I love you guys so very much! 
 Sister  Mathis

No comments: