Monday, May 19, 2014

Greetings from Delaware...Ohio


Hello friends and family! I have been transferred to a brand new area. It was very sad to say goodbye to Hayden Run and all the amazing people I met in it, especially my tremendous companion and best friend Sister Lacie Belle Hicken. I was truly so blessed to have served with her for those precious three months. I loved Hayden Run and I know I will remember it forever.

Delaware is actually not too far from my last area. It is beautiful country and the people are great. The church has grown so much here. What started out as a small branch has turned into a huge ward that is bursting at the seams. The members are excited about missionary work, and after an amazing and inspiring stake conference focusing on missionary work, I am excited to see what opportunities come about.

A few days ago, I was able to meet an investigator named Jack. Jack is an elderly man, who has such strong faith in Jesus Christ. He loves the Bible and has recently discovered a love for the Book Of Mormon. He came with us to church yesterday and had a great time. After church he invited us to go grab a cup of coffee. I guess the next lesson for him will be the word of wisdom and keeping the Sabbath day holy. He is a crack up and has so much personality. It took him awhile to remember my name. For some reason he kept calling me Melissa, but I know that Jack has so much potential and he would make a wonderful member of the Church.

I am thrilled for this new challenge and opportunity. I have a great new companion to serve with and a great new area to work with.

I delight in hearing from all of you. Remember each one of you can be a disciple of Jesus Christ. My favorite quote of the week comes from Elder Holland and says, "You may wonder if it is worth it to take a courageous moral stand in high school or go on a mission only to have your most cherished beliefs reviled or to strive against much in society that sometimes ridicules a life of religious devotion. Yes, it is worth it, because the alternative is to have our houses left unto us desolate-desolate individuals, desolate families, desolate neighborhoods, and desolate nations."

Defend your faith. Stand up for what is true, and invite those you care and love to hear the message we have to offer. We do not want to be left desolate!

Love you lots!

Love,
Sister Mathis


No comments: