Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Jacob Chapter 5



At the very beginnning of my mission I was reading the Book Of Mormon in Jacob. Together as a companionship we were reading chapter 5. I've always remembered this chapter as the "long chapter" that I never really wanted to read. In fact I can remember I would complain when we would have family scripture study and my mom would choose it to read. When I read it this time my eyes filled with tears. In verse 21 and 22, the servant says to the Master, "How come you have planted this tree in the poorest spot in all of the land." I thought about myself as the laborer. I read this and though Heavenly Father how can you plant me a "weak tree" in this "hard" spot. The Vineyard is large, why here? Why Ohio? Why this area? I remember getting discouraged. I knew it would be hard. I was placed as a new missionary, in a new area that had a lot of work to be done. I felt weak. I felt inadequate. The Lord in this chapter then responds to the servant and really to all of us, "I knew that it was a poor spot of ground, wherefore I said unto thee, I have nourished it this long time, and thou hast beholdest that it has brought forth much fruit." 
As transfer day has come and I have recieved a call that I will be leaving this area, I am sad to say the least. I know the Lord has placed me here for a reason. I have met people that have changed my life, that have touched my heart and have taught me how to be a better disciple of Jesus Christ. My testimony has been strengthened in ways I didn't even know possible. I now know this area is not a poor area at all. In fact it is rich, full of those who want to learn more, because of the Lord's hand. He loves his people here just as much as He loves them anywhere else. I know the Lord has helped me to grow and nourish just as the tree's in this allegory have grown. I have loved serving here in Hayden Run. It has truly been exactly what I needed. I know God has a plan, better than the plan I have for myself. I am excited for change. I know the Lord will once again reach His hand down to me and strengthen me so that I will be able to bring forth "good fruit." I know He has the power to make weak things become strong. He has done so with me. I still have a ways to go, but I thank my Heavenly Father for being so patient with me. Tree's do not grow right away, they grow little by little. I know the Lord works with each of us daily to help us grow and become more like our Father in Heaven.




I stand as a witness that I know that Christ lives. I know my Father in Heaven lives and loves us. With their divine help we can be molded into the people we are destined to become.

I will miss Sister Hicken. She has been an amazing
companion and now will be a friend forever.
























I am excited to see where the Lord takes me tomorrow.  Love you all! Have a great week! Have a great week!
-Love Sister Mathis

No comments: