Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year!


The Great Ohio Columbus Christmas Devotional 




















Hope everyone had such a tremendous Christmas. What a memorable holiday it was for me to spend as a missionary. We spent a good majority of the day going and visiting people who we knew would be spending the holidays alone. We made cookies and delivered them to many people we are working with and went caroling. One of the highlights of the day was being able to Skype my beautiful family. It was an emotional little while, and I hope they could see the passion I have for this work and the love I have for my Savior. What a tender time it was to see and talk to them.


Caroling with Dakota

On Christmas Eve we went and visited the sweet little boy we are working with. We caroled his home. He loves music and was so excited when we appeared at his door. He begged his dad to let him come with us and carol a couple of his neighbors' doors. As were out in the crisp Ohio
winter air, I felt such a warmth as we sang songs with this incredible boy about the birth of our Savior. He just lit up and was more than excited to hand his neighbors a "He is the Gift" pass along card. I love this little boy and I get emotional just talking about him and the potential he holds. He has such a pure and deep love for his Savior and at the young age of 10, he is the one teaching me.

I have loved being able to spend time weekly on my family history. I came across an incredible ancestor this last week named George Barber. George is my great great great grandpa and he was such a stud. He talked in his own journal entry about pirates, about fighting in the Indian War, and about his conversion to the Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Of his conversion he said, "As strange and as marvelous as it now appears both Benjamin (his brother), and myself were impressed and knew it was true." Three weeks later they were both baptized. Shortly after his baptism he went and taught a sect called Plymouth brethren. Many later were converted and brought to the knowledge of the truth.  Family history work is critical, there are many souls to save. I am grateful for the testimony of George Baber who was incredible example to future generations.
Christmas with Sister Chadburn

Here's a little funny story for you. We helped a lady move this last week who is amazing. She looked at us and told us she wanted to start coming to church and she wanted to be taught the lessons. As we were moving all of her stuff into her new house I had the privilege of carrying in her coffee pot. Well unfortunately I turned my head for a split second and the pot slid out from under me and came crashing down on the cement into a million pieces. All the missionaries kind of chuckled as we joked about the word of wisdom concern being eliminated, but I felt terrible for breaking it. Out of all the things that could have broken, it was the coffee pot. Little does she know that this will help her in the long run:}


I appreciate all of you so very much. I have had times where I cannot fully explain the help I have been given as a missionary. I have had times where I literally have to stop and pause and where I can feel the power of your prayers. This last week I had kind of a hard day and was getting down on myself. During this moment I was overcome with a feeling of tremendous love and I knew that love came because someone was praying for me. I needed that prayer. So whoever you were, thank you for praying for me. A little prayer can go a long way. 

I love you all. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas. This gospel is the most beautiful thing in the world, how grateful I am to have it in my life and be able to share it with others.

Love, Sister Mathis

No comments: